Cathedrals and Churchwardens
Dave Shield
2004-11-23 14:15:37 UTC
Silly question, but it's the sort of thing someone here probably knows:

Do Anglican cathedrals have churchwardens?
Or is this role only applicable to normal parishes?

Dave
Dave Goode
2004-11-23 17:34:37 UTC
Do Anglican cathedrals have churchwardens?
They do. The Dean is the equivalent (in this sense) of the vicar, and the
cathedral church is also a parish.

Dave
--
Faculty of Divinity, University of Cambridge
West Road, Cambridge, CB3 9BS
http://www.cus.cam.ac.uk/~djg39/
Alec
2004-11-23 18:32:10 UTC
Post by Dave Shield
Do Anglican cathedrals have churchwardens?
Or is this role only applicable to normal parishes?
Those cathedrals that are also parish churches have churchwardens (e.g.
Chelmsford). But since the passing of the Cathedrals Measure 1999, they no
longer hold legal powers, which is vested in the Cathedral Council and the
Chapter.

Alec
Robert Marshall
2004-11-23 19:08:49 UTC
Post by Dave Shield
Do Anglican cathedrals have churchwardens?
Or is this role only applicable to normal parishes?
Apparently so - I'd have thought obviously as they have worshipping
congregations and they need a senior lay members, but I couldn't find
any mentions via google until

http://www.chelmsfordcathedral.org.uk/blue1/people.htm

now called (according to that page since 1999) cathedral wardens

Robert
He is our homeliest home and endless dwelling - Julian of Norwich
Dave Shield
2004-11-24 14:07:38 UTC
Post by Robert Marshall
Post by Dave Shield
Do Anglican cathedrals have churchwardens?
Or is this role only applicable to normal parishes?
Apparently so - I'd have thought obviously as they have worshipping
congregations and they need a senior lay members
Unfortunately that doesn't automatically hold :-(
My church is now an "extra-parochial place of worship"
which means that we don't legally have churchwardens.

We have two people designated as our lay contacts
("the-people-formerly-known-as-churchwardens"), but
we're having a great deal of trouble in getting the
diocesan office to include them on the necessary mailings
(because they're not churchwardens).

I wondered whether cathedral congregations might be in
a similar position, and whether we could hook into whatever
arrangements were in place for them. But if Alec's correct,
then I suspect we're out of luck :-(

Dave
Robert Marshall
2004-11-24 19:11:29 UTC
Post by Dave Shield
Post by Robert Marshall
Post by Dave Shield
Do Anglican cathedrals have churchwardens?
Or is this role only applicable to normal parishes?
Apparently so - I'd have thought obviously as they have worshipping
congregations and they need a senior lay members
Unfortunately that doesn't automatically hold :-(
My church is now an "extra-parochial place of worship"
which means that we don't legally have churchwardens.
Yes I should have known better any (CofE) church which isn't a parish
church doesn't AFAICR have churchwardens, though most of them have a
'senior' member of some team parish, if they are part of one which
should funnel mailings
Post by Dave Shield
We have two people designated as our lay contacts
("the-people-formerly-known-as-churchwardens"), but
we're having a great deal of trouble in getting the
diocesan office to include them on the necessary mailings
(because they're not churchwardens).
Hope it works out
Post by Dave Shield
I wondered whether cathedral congregations might be in
a similar position, and whether we could hook into whatever
arrangements were in place for them. But if Alec's correct,
then I suspect we're out of luck :-(
Comes of being outside the law!

Robert
He is our homeliest home and endless dwelling - Julian of Norwich
Alec
2004-11-24 23:47:12 UTC
Post by Dave Shield
Post by Robert Marshall
Post by Dave Shield
Do Anglican cathedrals have churchwardens?
Or is this role only applicable to normal parishes?
Apparently so - I'd have thought obviously as they have worshipping
congregations and they need a senior lay members
Unfortunately that doesn't automatically hold :-(
My church is now an "extra-parochial place of worship"
which means that we don't legally have churchwardens.
We have two people designated as our lay contacts
("the-people-formerly-known-as-churchwardens"), but
we're having a great deal of trouble in getting the
diocesan office to include them on the necessary mailings
(because they're not churchwardens).
I wondered whether cathedral congregations might be in
a similar position, and whether we could hook into whatever
arrangements were in place for them. But if Alec's correct,
then I suspect we're out of luck :-(
It's all to do with the Synodical Government. While the office of
churchwarden is ancient (medieval, as bishop's officer) and predates the
synodical system, they have been incorporated into it. Only a parish church
can have churchwardens, electoral roll and PCC, through which the laity have
a stake in the synodical system. Congregation of a cathedral which isn't
itself a parish church (i.e. York Minster) cannot participate in the
synodical government, though residentiary canons and deans have their own
representation in the House of Clergy. It's the same with extra-parochial
congregation (e.g. college chapel). Congregations that are part of a team
ministry usually have two wardens, one PCC and one electoral roll covering
the whole team, though they can have informal district church council and
deputy wardens.

Alec
Bernard Hill
2004-11-26 11:25:57 UTC
Post by Dave Shield
Do Anglican cathedrals have churchwardens?
Or is this role only applicable to normal parishes?
Dave
I presume you mean "Church of England" cathedrals.

Even Anglican churches in Scotland don't have to have church wardens.
--
Bernard Hill
Selkirk, Scotland
Dave Shield
2004-11-26 13:01:25 UTC
Post by Bernard Hill
Post by Dave Shield
Do Anglican cathedrals have churchwardens?
I presume you mean "Church of England" cathedrals.
My apologies - yes, I was trying to distinguish
between the organisation of CofE vs RC cathedrals,
rather than CofE vs SEC.
Sorry about the inaccurate terminology.

Dave
Bernard Hill
2004-11-29 11:07:05 UTC
Post by Dave Shield
Post by Bernard Hill
Post by Dave Shield
Do Anglican cathedrals have churchwardens?
I presume you mean "Church of England" cathedrals.
My apologies - yes, I was trying to distinguish
between the organisation of CofE vs RC cathedrals,
rather than CofE vs SEC.
Sorry about the inaccurate terminology.
Dave
S'OK.

Just my hobby horse. Along with most of Scotland of course - people
saying "England" when they mean "UK".

:-)

But it's actually very refreshing indeed to be part of a (UK) Anglican
church which is not established.
--
Bernard Hill
Selkirk, Scotland